Friday 4 November 2011

Famous put-downs...

They do say the pen is mightier than the sword, don't they? How often do you wish you could come up with a really great put-down to stun your opponent with your wit, rather than punch them where it hurts? Well, here are a few famous ones to get your creative juices flowing...
  • "The next time you wash your neck, wring it out!" anon
  • "Don't go away - I want to forget you exactly as you are!" anon
  • You've got the brain of a 4-year-old, and I bet they were glad to get rid of it! Groucho Marx
  • "I wish I had known you when you were alive." Leonard Lewis Levison
  • "If you're going be two-faced, at least make one of them pretty." Kayla Morris
  • "His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork." Mae West
  • "Is that a new hairdo, or did you just walk through a wind tunnel?" anon
  • "He uses statistics like a drunken man uses a lamp-post - for support rather than illumination." Andrew Lang
  • "You're the type of person who lights up the room by leaving it." anon
  • "He can’t see a belt without hitting below it." Margot Asquith
  • "Please turn off your mouth; it's still running." anon
  • "He has one of those characteristic British faces - once seen, never remembered." Oscar Wilde
And here's my personal favourite - an exchange between Winston Churchill and Bessie Braddock MP:

Bessie: Winston, you are drunk!
Winston: Indeed madam. And you are ugly. But tomorrow, I will be sober.

Know any others? Feel free to share them below! Have a great weekend all...

1 comment:

  1. Another one from Winston Churchill that I love is:
    Female MP: Mr Churchill, if I were your wife, I'd poison your coffee.
    Winston: Madam, if you were my wife, I'd drink it!

    ReplyDelete